The Politics of Sectarianism in the Middle East
By Dr Toby Matthiesen
Research Fellow in Islamic and Middle Eastern Studies, Pembroke College, University of Cambridge
EVENT: The Politics of Sectarianism in the Middle East
DATE: Tuesday, November 4th, 2014
TIME: 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m GMT
VENUE: The Aga Khan University – Institute for the Study of Muslim Civilisations (AKU – ISMC), 210 Euston Road, London NW1 2DA
About Toby Matthiesen
Toby Matthiesen is a Research Fellow in Islamic and Middle Eastern Studies at Pembroke College, University of Cambridge.
He was previously a Research Fellow at the London School of Economics and Political Science.
His first book “Sectarian Gulf: Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, and the Arab Spring That Wasn’t” was published by Stanford University Press in 2013 and examines how the Gulf states responded to protests at home and in the wider Arab world.
From 2007 to 2011 he wrote his doctorate on the politicisation of Saudi Arabia’s Shia community at the School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS), University of London. His second book, “The Other Saudis: Shiism, Dissent and Sectarianism”, which is based on his PhD, is published in 2015 by Cambridge University Press.
About Aga Khan University Institute for the Study of Muslim Civilisations
Aga Khan University Institute for the Study of Muslim Civilisations (AKU-ISMC) provides a multifaceted approach to the study of Muslim civilisations – within a framework of world cultures and through the humanities and social sciences – allowing for a wider analytical and comparative perspective. This approach is reflected in a post-graduate master’s programme, professional programmes and through quality research and publications. It is reinforced by a unique bibliographical project, the Muslim Civilisations Abstracts.
All Related to Upcoming Events
- Vanderbilt University presents Speech and Space: Discursive Environments across Non-Arab Islam
- What people are saying about the Prince Sadruddin biography by Diana Miserez
- Talking to Diana Miserez, author of Prince Sadruddin’s biography and Nicola Spafford Furey, VP of Earth Focus Foundation one day before the book launch event at the UN
- Prince Sadruddin’s Constellation of Honors: Decorations & Distinctions
- Contemplate: Prince Sadruddin’s inspiring 1975 address to the newly settled Ismaili community in Canada
- Reflection: French Minister of Culture pays tribute to Prince Sadruddin as he decorates His Highness Prince Karim Aga Khan and Prince Amyn with honours
- Retrospective: 1988 Interview with Prince Sadruddin Aga Khan Co-ordinator for United Nations Humanitarian and Economic Assistance Programmes relating to Afghanistan
- eBook of Prince Sadruddin Aga Khan’s biography now available worldwide
- UN Library hosts book launch of Prince Sadruddin Aga Khan at the Palais des Nations, Geneva on April 20
- Aga Khan University Hospital Karachi, a Legacy of Great Healthcare & Design to be presented by architects from Payette and AKU at the 29th Annual Healthcare Facilities Symposium & Expo
- Marvelous Creatures: Animals in Islamic Art, at the Aga Khan Museum Toronto
- 5th Alliance Conference Canada – Annual event for Ismaili business owners, professionals and entrepreneurs
- Legendary Sufi Singer Abida Parveen Makes Rare Appearance in Toronto
Get breaking news related to the Ismaili Imamat, the Noorani Family, the world wide Ismaili Jamat and all their endeavors and successes.
Learn how to subscribe and join 16,000 + other amazing people – Subscribe now!
All Related to Aga Khan University:
- AKDN’s Knowledge for Development Initiative: A collaboration between Ismaili Imamat and Portugal Ministry of Science, Technology and Higher Education
- Pakistani mothers-to-be missing out on health benefits of exercise, study finds
- Aga Khan University and Ministry of Health, Portugal sign Memorandum of Agreement for the cooperation in the area of Health
- Duke’s Samad named Chairwoman of Dept. of Medicine at Aga Khan University in Pakistan
- Researchers at Aga Khan University and the University of Virginia launch artificial intelligence study
- Aga Khan University Examination Board (AKU-EB) signs accord with Balochistan govt and Unicef
- Tanzania: Aga Khan Hospital launches new technology for efficiency
- Architectural rendering of Aga Khan University Hospital Kampala
- Aga Khan University Report 2017: Creating Visions of Opportunity
- In partnership with the Aga Khan University, a comprehensive study to address the public health risks posed by paan (betel leaf), niswaar (powdered tobacco snuff) and gutka (tobacco and areca nut)
- Aga Khan University holds breast cancer meeting | Daily Nation
- Aga Khan hospital opens first electrophysiology programme in Kenya | Daily Nation
- Famous Comedian/Activist Doctor Patch Adam visits Aga Khan University Children’s Hospital
- Global exhibition ‘AKDN: Ethics in Action’ comes to Karachi
- Microsoft Technology empowers Aga Khan University Hospitals to have real time visibility of operating rooms process
- Harvard, Aga Khan University partner to offer leadership courses in Nairobi
- History: Aga Khan University’s 1st Convocation
- Aga Khan, Harvard to train leaders | Daily Nation
- Aga Khan University Among Top 250 in World For Studying Medicine | The Academia
- Maternal death audits in Africa win €1mn innovation prize