Florida International University – School of International and Public Affairs presents a lecture by Professor Michel Boivin on the topic of Islam & Authority in the Global World: Karim Aga Khan and the Ismaili Community.
EVENT: School of International and Public Affairs: Islam & Authority in the Global World: Karim Aga Khan and the Ismaili Community.
SPEAKER: Professor Michel Boivin (Directeur de recherche CNRS, CEIAS-EHESS)
DATE: Thursday, November 13th, 2014
TIME: 2:00 – 3:00 PM EST
VENUE: Florida International University – School of International and Public Affairs: Modesto A. Maidique Campus, SIPA 530, 11200 SW 8th Street, Miami, Florida USA 33199
- Islam and Authority in the Global World: Karim Aga Khan and the Ismaili Community | School of International and Public Affairs.
About Professor Michel Boivin (Directeur de recherche CNRS, CEIAS-EHESS)
Dr Boivin received his training in modern history of the Middle East, Modern Arabic and Persian language and civilization at the University of Louis Lumi’re and the University of Jean Moulin (Lyon). After defending his doctoral thesis at The Sorbonne, he became a research fellow at the Centre of India and South Asia Studies (EHESS/CNRS) teaching contemporary history of South Asia at The University of Savoie.
Dr Boivin has published many articles in academic journals including Journal Asiatique, Studia Islamica, Journal of Pakistan Historical Society, and others. He has contributed to the Encyclopaedia of Islam and Encyclopaedia Universalis. He has also published Histoire de l’Inde (Paris: PUF, 3rd ed. 2005, Bulgarian tr., 2002; Rumanian tr. 2003) Le Pakistan (Paris: PUF, 1996, Swedish tr. 2005) and Les Isma’liens: des communaut’s d’Asie du sud entre islamisation et indianisation, Ternhout, Brepols. His most recent publication is La r?novation du sh?`isme isma?lien – d’apr?s les discours et les ?crits de Sultan Muhammad Shah Aga Khan (1902-1957) (London, Curzon Routledge, 2003).
Dr Boivin is currently working on three books on Sindhi Studies: A collective volume on Sindhi culture, history and language with contributions by French scholars; an introduction on Sindhi culture and history co-edited with Prof. Ghulam Ali Allana (Sindh University); and a compilation of research on Sindh by specialists in the field, co-edited with Mathew Cook (Columbia University).
Dr Boivin’s current work on Islam and intercessors in popular religion in modern Sindh involves research on the modern history of the Ismailis, and an investigation on the devotion of Lal Shahbaz Qalandar, a Sufi saint of Sindh (Pakistan) and Kutch (India). Dr. Boivin’s other research interests include the evolution of territories and communities in Karachi after 1947, the shaping of renewed identities in the Sindhi diaspora, and orientalism.
Via the Institute of Ismaili Studies
All Related to Dr. Michel Boivin at Ismailimail:
- French scholar Michel Boivin: Tracing the roots of Sufi culture
- Event – November 13 | Florida International University | Islam and Authority in the Global World: Karim Aga Khan and the Ismaili Community
- Interview with Ali S. Asani, 2011 | Sindhi Studies Group
All Related to Upcoming Events
- First Five Fest: Aga Khan Museum Fifth Birthday Bash!
- Book Launch Event Toronto: A Bridge Between Two Epochs
- Facebook Live Event: The Power of Women in Tech with @AnarSimpson #MentorTalks
- Faisal Bhanji Memorial Cup – Volleyball Tournament 2019
- Event: Film Talks Series – Kahlil Gibran’s The Prophet at Plano, TX JamatKhana
- Book Launch Event in Calgary: Mansoor Ladha’s Memoirs of a Muhindi @LadhaMansoor
- Cricket, Corruption and the World Cup
- 50th Anniversary of the Moon Landing Festival at the Aga Khan Museum
- Zamir Dhanji: 8 Limbs- Yoga Philosophy in Practice
- The Ismaili Muslim Community 23rd Annual Stampede Breakfast 2019- Calgary, Canada
- “Believing Women” in Islam: Unreading Patriarchal Interpretations of the Qur’an
- Prince Hussain Aga Khan: The Living Sea-Photos Exhibition at National Museum of Natural History and Science, Lisbon
- Book Launch Event: A Bridge Between Two Epochs- Vancouver, BC, Canada
- Event: Women Empowering the Next Generation of Women- Edmonton, AB
- SOS Children’s Villages Canada: Women Empowering the Next Generation of Women
- Aga Khan Foundation, Canada: Unlocking Opportunity for Women & Girls
- Knitting Pilgrim Project Appearing @AgaKhanMuseum Explores Religious Commonalities
- Distinguished Lecture Series (DLS): Relationship between Religion, Culture, and Development
- Aga Khan Historic Cities Programme Exhibit
- Event: Lost Maps of the Caliphs
- Parenting After Trauma: Healing for Parent Survivors of Childhood Trauma and Neglect
- 40 Years On: Reflections on the Iranian Revolution
- Anar Simpson: The Stanford Africa Business Forum 2019 @AnarSimpson
- The First Aga Khan: Memoirs of the 46th Ismaili Imam
- Dr. Hasan Ali Khan: Constructing Islam on the Indus
- Dr. Shenila Khoja-Moolji: What is Patriarchy? @SKhojaMoolji
- Celebrate Navroz: A Cultural Exploration
- 2019 Aga Khan Music Awards Laureates and Finalists announced
- Nizar Macnojia: Featured Artist at the Gala Event by Daya Houston Foundation
- THE MOON: A Voyage Through Time at The Aga Khan Museum, Toronto
- Zabeen Hirji explains why inclusion is becoming a competitive imperative in the future of work
- @Desiliciousrd: March is #NutritionMonth!
- RBC Innovation & Entrepreneurship Speaker Series: Female Founders Edition
- 2019 International Women’s Day Civil Society Champions: Living the Social Conscience of Islam
- Cyclical Sanctity and Ismaili Identity: A Framework for Rethinking Conversion to Shi’i Islam in the Iranian World
- Aga Khan Museum: Touching the Heart | Open Mic Night
- Pragmatic Muslim Politics – The Case of Sri Lanka Muslim Congress
- Houston, TX: Anoushka Shankar opens the Indo-American Association’s 2019 performance season with a concert at Stafford Centre
- Zamir Dhanji: 8 Limbs of Raja Yoga
- Omani Towns: Tradition of the Desert and the Sea
- The Moon: A Voyage Through Time at The Aga Khan Museum
- Toronto: Canadian Plant-Based Nutrition Conference
- The Inspire’d Stage – Birmingham, UK: Words can Inspire the World @coachsamuk @focusakdn
- IPN Build Live Virtual Event: Married Co-Founders on Building a Company Together
- masks X molds Solo Art Exhibition by Romana Kassam
- Seminar on Islamic Studies Librarianship: Past, Present and Future- UK
- Events: Milad-un-Nabi Commemoration @monasiddiqui7
- The Aga Khan Historic Cities Programme: Transforming Cities, Transforming Lives
- Misaq-e-Ishq: The Covenant of Love
- The Harvard Undergraduate Global Education Movement (HGEM): Innovation Challenge Dubai March 14-16, 2019
- Minding the Gap: A Conversation on Mental Health & Stigma
- Plano Ismaili Jamatkhana: Cities of Light- The Rise And Fall of Islamic Spain
- Ismaili Centre Lisbon: Youth, Peace and Security- Lisbon Forum 2018
- Islamic Arts Festival 2018- Houston, TX
- Vanderbilt University presents Speech and Space: Discursive Environments across Non-Arab Islam
- What people are saying about the Prince Sadruddin biography by Diana Miserez
- Talking to Diana Miserez, author of Prince Sadruddin’s biography and Nicola Spafford Furey, VP of Earth Focus Foundation one day before the book launch event at the UN
- Prince Sadruddin’s Constellation of Honors: Decorations & Distinctions
- Contemplate: Prince Sadruddin’s inspiring 1975 address to the newly settled Ismaili community in Canada
- Reflection: French Minister of Culture pays tribute to Prince Sadruddin as he decorates His Highness Prince Karim Aga Khan and Prince Amyn with honours
- Retrospective: 1988 Interview with Prince Sadruddin Aga Khan Co-ordinator for United Nations Humanitarian and Economic Assistance Programmes relating to Afghanistan
- eBook of Prince Sadruddin Aga Khan’s biography now available worldwide
- UN Library hosts book launch of Prince Sadruddin Aga Khan at the Palais des Nations, Geneva on April 20
- Aga Khan University Hospital Karachi, a Legacy of Great Healthcare & Design to be presented by architects from Payette and AKU at the 29th Annual Healthcare Facilities Symposium & Expo
- Marvelous Creatures: Animals in Islamic Art, at the Aga Khan Museum Toronto
- 5th Alliance Conference Canada – Annual event for Ismaili business owners, professionals and entrepreneurs
- Legendary Sufi Singer Abida Parveen Makes Rare Appearance in Toronto
Be the First to Know – Join Ismailimail
Get breaking news related to the Ismaili Imamat, the Noorani Family, the world wide Ismaili Jamat and all their endeavors and successes.
Learn how to subscribe and join 16,000 + other amazing people – Subscribe now!
Recently Featured at Ismailimail:
Click on individual pictures to browse all related posts.