Renowned musicians Salim and Sulaiman performed at the dinner, accompanied by six youth from across India – one from each region of the country where the Jamat has a presence.
Mumbai, 28 September 2013 – Mawlana Hazar Imam’s 11-day visit to India drew to a close today.
During the visit, which included a ceremony marking the restoration of Humayun’s Tomb and the inauguration of the Aga Khan Academy, Hyderabad, Mawlana Hazar Imam met with senior government leaders at the national and state levels. Hazar Imam also devoted a considerable amount of time to meeting with the Jamat of Western India, who gathered at Hasanabad Jamatkhana.
Yesterday evening, Mawlana Hazar Imam attended a banquet hosted in his honour by the Jamati institutions of India. Renowned musicians Salim and Sulaiman performed at the dinner, accompanied by six youth from across India – one from each region of the country where the Jamat has a presence.
At the dinner, Jamati leaders presented Mawlana Hazar Imam with a gift of a bronze incense burner. Dated to the 18th or 19th century, the vessel exemplifies the fine metalwork produced by the craftsmen of Mughal-era India.
About Salim-Sulaiman North America Tour 2014
Iconic Bollywood musical duo Salim-Sulaiman will embark on their first ever North American tour this November 2014 with stops in Vancouver, San Jose, Calgary, Toronto, San Antonio, Atlanta, Houston, Washington and Fort Lauderdale.
Accompanied by their band, Salim-Sulaiman will also welcome to tour singers Vipul Metha, winner of Indian Idol 6, and Shweta Pandit, who regularly performs with AR Rahman.
Salim-Sulaiman have been composing music for over a decade having scored for movies including Rab Ne Banadi Jodi, FASHION, Roadside Romeo, Iqbal, Dor, Heroine, Chak De India, and many more.
The versatile duo has scored for a string of Bollywood movies, composed for several Indi-pop sensations including Viva, Asmaan, Shweta Shetty, Jasmine and Style Bhai among others, composed and produced hundreds of TV commercials.
Recognized for their talents throughout the industry, Salim-Sulaiman have received numerous awards including the 2004 Screen Award for Best Background Music for Bahoot; the 2005 Screen Weekly Award for Best Background Music for Dhoom; the 2005 Technical Award for Best Background Score for Ab Tak Chhappan; the 2007 Zee Cine Technical Award for Best Background Score for Krrish; and the 2014 Mirchi Music Award for Best Indi-Pop Song of the Year.
Incorporating cinematic, folk, Electronica and Sufi influences to their music, Salim and Sulaiman Merchant are among India’s most respected composers. Recently they composed the musical Merchants of Bollywood, as well as their much awaited Hollywood film Sold which is rapidly gaining attention at numerous film festivals.
They have been nominated for Daytime Emmy Awards and collaborated to remix songs with Lady Gaga.
The duo has enthralled audiences across the world with their live concerts, particularly during their performance at the FIFA World Cup 2010 opening ceremony. In addition, Salim-Sulaiman have been part of numerous television shows including their role as celebrity judges on Indian Idol.
Their greatest honour has been performing in the presence of His Highness Prince Karim Aga Khan twice, once in Kenya and more recently in India. They have also had the privilege of performing in the presence of Princess Zahra.
- Bhoomi 2020: “Haq Ali” Salim- Sulaiman, Salman Ali, Raj Pandit, Vipul Mehta, Kamal Haji
- Please Overlook My Shortcomings; Heal Me, O’ Lord! Maalik Mere #Eid2020 Special Gift @kamalhaji
- Maalik Mere: “The Essence of the song was PRAYER” Salim-Sulaiman Merchant
- #Eid2020 Special Gift: Maalik Mere by Salim-Sulaiman ft. Raj Pandit, Vipul Mehta, Salman Ali
- @SlimSulaiman: Virtual Concert in Support of AKDN’s Global Pandemic Relief Fund feat. @Salim_merchant-@Sulaiman Only on #TheIsmailiTV
All Related to Upcoming Events
- Harvard University: Diversity and Unity in Transnational Shi’ism
- Episode 7: Virtual Qasida and Ginan Mehfil (Navroz Edition) Hosted by Ginanguru featuring Dr. Shafique Virani
- Episode 6: Virtual Qasida and Ginan Mehfil (Salgirah Edition) Hosted by Ginanguru On Sunday December 20, 2020
- Cov360 Virtual Event: Neglected Diseases: How the current pandemic impacts neglected diseases, HIV, tuberculosis, and cryptococcal meningitis
- Koffee with Jalal Virtual Event: Future Superstars – Ismaili Youth Artists 2.0
- Event: Youth Edition Qasida and Ginan Mehfil Hosted by Ginanguru Featuring Talented Global Ismailis
- Sangeet Ke Sang Sang: A Musical Fundraiser in Support of Aga Khan Foundation
- The Ismaili Centre 2020 Global Milad-un Nabi Lecture: The Quest for a Moral Economy in a Post-Covid Era
- Now Accepting Video Submissions! GinanGuru’s Virtual Qasida & Ginan Mehfil [EPISODE 5]: Youth Edition
- #Girls20Summit2020: Hear from the co-founder, Black Lives Matter (#BLM) Opal Tometi, Saturday, October 24, 2020 (@Girls20)
- Ismailis Rise Up Virtual Event: Town Hall with U.S. Senate candidates Jon Ossof (Georgia, U.S.) and Rev. Raphael Warnock (Georgia, U.S.) Wednesday October 21, 2020
- The.Ismaili (Canada) Virtual Event: Horizons Series: Music, Islam, and Spirituality – Devotional Music from South Asia
- @IsmailisRiseUp Virtual Event: California’s 2020 Propositions, Thursday, October 15th from 8 PM – 8:45 PM PST
- Webinar October 15, 2020: Muslims and Mediation: Diversity, Practice and Contemporary Challenges #Conflictresolutionday
- @IsmailisRiseUp Virtual Event: “Voting with Vyasar Ganesan” Sunday, October 11th from 4 PM – 6 PM CST
- New Horizons in British Islam (@n_Horizons): “Family, Business and Community – Mediation Among Muslims: Diversity, Ethics and Contemporary Practice”
- @AgaKhanMuseum: 2020 Lapis Digital Benefit
- The Ismaili Centre, London Presents: Asians of Africa in the Twentieth Century – A remarkable story still to be told
- Episode 4: Virtual Qasida & Ginan Mehfil Hosted by Ginanguru Sunday August 9, 2020
- Canadian Ismaili Artists Step Forward to Support @AKDN Global Pandemic Relief Fund
- Event: Qasida and Ginan Mehfil featuring Dr. Ali Asani and Talented Global Ismailis Hosted by Ginanguru.com
- Event: Qasida and Ginan Mehfil April 26, 2020 Hosted by Ginanguru.com
- Nazia Amin Mohammad (@NaziaAminMohd) “Live”: AKYSB in Collaboration with Aga Khan Social Welfare Board for Southern Region (Pakistan) Presents: Old is Gold
- Events: Understanding Islam in an Age of Polarization and Misinformation
- G(irls)20 (@Girls20) Leadership Forum: A Seat at the Table- March 7, 2020, Toronto
- Mother, No Other Like Her: Saher Lalani Book Signing Event in Toronto in Support of Sinai Health
- ITREB Pakistan Inspire Book Review: A Modern History of the Ismailis
- M.G. Vassanji Book Launch Event: A Delhi Obsession
- First Five Fest: Aga Khan Museum Fifth Birthday Bash!
- Book Launch Event Toronto: A Bridge Between Two Epochs
- Facebook Live Event: The Power of Women in Tech with @AnarSimpson #MentorTalks
- Faisal Bhanji Memorial Cup – Volleyball Tournament 2019
- Event: Film Talks Series – Kahlil Gibran’s The Prophet at Plano, TX JamatKhana
- Book Launch Event in Calgary: Mansoor Ladha’s Memoirs of a Muhindi @LadhaMansoor
- Cricket, Corruption and the World Cup
- 50th Anniversary of the Moon Landing Festival at the Aga Khan Museum
- Zamir Dhanji: 8 Limbs- Yoga Philosophy in Practice
- The Ismaili Muslim Community 23rd Annual Stampede Breakfast 2019- Calgary, Canada
- “Believing Women” in Islam: Unreading Patriarchal Interpretations of the Qur’an
- Prince Hussain Aga Khan: The Living Sea-Photos Exhibition at National Museum of Natural History and Science, Lisbon
- Book Launch Event: A Bridge Between Two Epochs- Vancouver, BC, Canada
- Event: Women Empowering the Next Generation of Women- Edmonton, AB
- SOS Children’s Villages Canada: Women Empowering the Next Generation of Women
- Aga Khan Foundation, Canada: Unlocking Opportunity for Women & Girls
- Knitting Pilgrim Project Appearing @AgaKhanMuseum Explores Religious Commonalities
- Distinguished Lecture Series (DLS): Relationship between Religion, Culture, and Development
- Aga Khan Historic Cities Programme Exhibit
- Event: Lost Maps of the Caliphs
- Parenting After Trauma: Healing for Parent Survivors of Childhood Trauma and Neglect
- 40 Years On: Reflections on the Iranian Revolution
- Anar Simpson: The Stanford Africa Business Forum 2019 @AnarSimpson
- The First Aga Khan: Memoirs of the 46th Ismaili Imam
- Dr. Hasan Ali Khan: Constructing Islam on the Indus
- Dr. Shenila Khoja-Moolji: What is Patriarchy? @SKhojaMoolji
- Celebrate Navroz: A Cultural Exploration
- 2019 Aga Khan Music Awards Laureates and Finalists announced
- Nizar Macnojia: Featured Artist at the Gala Event by Daya Houston Foundation
- THE MOON: A Voyage Through Time at The Aga Khan Museum, Toronto
- Zabeen Hirji explains why inclusion is becoming a competitive imperative in the future of work
- @Desiliciousrd: March is #NutritionMonth!
- RBC Innovation & Entrepreneurship Speaker Series: Female Founders Edition
- 2019 International Women’s Day Civil Society Champions: Living the Social Conscience of Islam
- Cyclical Sanctity and Ismaili Identity: A Framework for Rethinking Conversion to Shi’i Islam in the Iranian World
- Aga Khan Museum: Touching the Heart | Open Mic Night
- Pragmatic Muslim Politics – The Case of Sri Lanka Muslim Congress
- Houston, TX: Anoushka Shankar opens the Indo-American Association’s 2019 performance season with a concert at Stafford Centre
- Zamir Dhanji: 8 Limbs of Raja Yoga
- Omani Towns: Tradition of the Desert and the Sea
- The Moon: A Voyage Through Time at The Aga Khan Museum
- Toronto: Canadian Plant-Based Nutrition Conference
- The Inspire’d Stage – Birmingham, UK: Words can Inspire the World @coachsamuk @focusakdn
- IPN Build Live Virtual Event: Married Co-Founders on Building a Company Together
- masks X molds Solo Art Exhibition by Romana Kassam
- Seminar on Islamic Studies Librarianship: Past, Present and Future- UK
- Events: Milad-un-Nabi Commemoration @monasiddiqui7
- The Aga Khan Historic Cities Programme: Transforming Cities, Transforming Lives
- Misaq-e-Ishq: The Covenant of Love
- The Harvard Undergraduate Global Education Movement (HGEM): Innovation Challenge Dubai March 14-16, 2019
- Minding the Gap: A Conversation on Mental Health & Stigma
- Plano Ismaili Jamatkhana: Cities of Light- The Rise And Fall of Islamic Spain
- Ismaili Centre Lisbon: Youth, Peace and Security- Lisbon Forum 2018
- Islamic Arts Festival 2018- Houston, TX
- Vanderbilt University presents Speech and Space: Discursive Environments across Non-Arab Islam
- What people are saying about the Prince Sadruddin biography by Diana Miserez
- Talking to Diana Miserez, author of Prince Sadruddin’s biography and Nicola Spafford Furey, VP of Earth Focus Foundation one day before the book launch event at the UN
- Prince Sadruddin’s Constellation of Honors: Decorations & Distinctions
- Contemplate: Prince Sadruddin’s inspiring 1975 address to the newly settled Ismaili community in Canada
- Reflection: French Minister of Culture pays tribute to Prince Sadruddin as he decorates His Highness Prince Karim Aga Khan and Prince Amyn with honours
- Retrospective: 1988 Interview with Prince Sadruddin Aga Khan Co-ordinator for United Nations Humanitarian and Economic Assistance Programmes relating to Afghanistan
- eBook of Prince Sadruddin Aga Khan’s biography now available worldwide
- UN Library hosts book launch of Prince Sadruddin Aga Khan at the Palais des Nations, Geneva on April 20
- Aga Khan University Hospital Karachi, a Legacy of Great Healthcare & Design to be presented by architects from Payette and AKU at the 29th Annual Healthcare Facilities Symposium & Expo
- Marvelous Creatures: Animals in Islamic Art, at the Aga Khan Museum Toronto
- 5th Alliance Conference Canada – Annual event for Ismaili business owners, professionals and entrepreneurs
- Legendary Sufi Singer Abida Parveen Makes Rare Appearance in Toronto
Be the First to Know – Join Ismailimail
Get breaking news related to the Ismaili Imamat, the Noorani Family, the world wide Ismaili Jamat and all their endeavors and successes.
Learn how to subscribe and join 17,000 + other amazing people – Subscribe now!
Earlier & Related to Salim and Sulaiman at Ismailimail:
Recently Featured at Ismailimail:
Click on headline links to open all related stories
|His Highness the Aga Khan in Kyrgyzstan||Salim-Sulaiman Live 2014 North America Tour||AKU Exhibition in Karachi||Upcoming Events|