In 2010 Baig became the first person to scale the 6,000-metre Chashkin Sar peak in northern Pakistan and the mountain is now named “Samina Peak” in her honour.
In May 2013, Samina Baig became the first women from Pakistan to reach the summit of Mount Everest and in the following eight months she broke additional records to became the first Pakistani woman to climb the seven highest peaks in seven continents (7 Summits).
ISLAMABAD: Pakistan on Monday congratulated Samina Baig on becoming the first woman from the country to reach the summit of Mount Everest.
The 22-year-old Baig, from the small town of Shimshal in the Hunza valley in Pakistan’s mountainous north, scaled the 8,848 metre (29,029 feet) peak early on Sunday after a gruelling expedition in rough weather.
“She is a brave girl who summited the peak and sent us a message of her achievement and all of Pakistan is feeling proud of her. She used her own resources and despite rough weather and fears of avalanche she never lost courage.”
– Karrar Haidri, member executive council of Pakistan Alpine Club (PAC)
Pakistan is home to five of the world’s 14 peaks over 8,000 metres, including the world’s second-highest mountain, K2.
Read Ismailimail Exclusive:
Earlier & Related on Samina Baig at Ismailimail
- Mountaineer Samina Baig appointed as UNDP National Goodwill Ambassador for Pakistan | UNDP
- Samina Baig & Mirza Ali: Pakistan Youth Outreach Launches First Gilgit Baltistan Film Festival
- Pakistan’s renowned mountaineer, Samina Baig leads first national women winter expedition
- In memory of Muhammad Khayal Baig, father of Mountaineer duo Samina Baig and Mirza Ali: An Inaugural Cricket/Football Tournament
- Serena Hotels Hunza Marathon 2016 Campaigns Against Substance Abuse
- Hunza Marathon for youth
- Princess Zahra and Prince Rahim Aga Khan at the Ismaili National Council Pakistan’s Institutional Dinner
- Los Angeles Times’ Video Feature on Samina Baig & Mirza Ali reaching the summit of Mt. Everest
- First Pakistani woman to summit Everest encourages women to ‘climb their own mountains’ – LA Times
- Samina Baig, the first Pakistani woman to climb Mount Everest | Chicago Tribune
Earlier & Related on Women & Leadership at Ismailimail
- Year in Review: IsmailiMail Interview with @AnarSimpson, @Technovation Global Ambassador
- Shelina Dilgir Awarded The Certified Fundraising Executive (CFRE) Designation
- Zainub Verjee: “Don’t reduce Diversity to an HR issue! It has far more complex and nuanced history.”
- Girls on Boards: A G(IRLS)20 Initiative
- Tasleem Somji: Women Economic Forum 2019
- Azima Dhanji: Co-Founder of Social Startup “Connect Hear” #BalanceforBetter #IWD2019 #IWD
- Revisiting Our Grade 6 English Figures Of Speech Class: “Beautiful Images Of A Shattered Glass Ceiling!”; The 3 Women Heads Of The Nuclear Regulators For 3 Anglophone Countries: UK, Canada, USA
- RBC Innovation & Entrepreneurship Speaker Series: Female Founders Edition
- 2019 International Women’s Day Civil Society Champions: Living the Social Conscience of Islam
- Bilkis Vissandjee: Women in Global Health Francophone List
Get breaking news related to the Ismaili Imamat, the Noorani Family, the world wide Ismaili Jamat and all their endeavors and successes.
Learn how to subscribe and join 17,000 + other amazing people – Subscribe now!
Recently Featured at Ismailimail: