A native of Gilgit-Baltistan’s Nomal Valley, Noorul Ain assumed office at Pakistan Red Crescent Society (PRCS) in July 2013 and became the first woman to lead the financially-troubled organisation.
Though she has plenty to be proud of, humility is one of her traits that shine through.
“I think I am among the few lucky people who were supported instead of opposed in the early stages of their career,” says the soft-spoken woman, recalling her first job at Aga Khan Rural Support Development Programme (AKRSP).
As a social organiser, Noor remained associated with the programme from 1984 till 2006.
“In AKRSP, my job was to focus on women and raise their standards of living by creating opportunities for them to generate an income,” she tells The Express Tribune in her PRCS office.
By Shabbir Mir. Published in The Express Tribune, December 22nd, 2014.
As daunting as the prospect of working in December’s below freezing temperatures may be, head of Pakistan Red Crescent Society (PRCS) Gilgit-Baltistan’s (G-B) chapter Noorul Ain has never been one to shy away from a challenge.
That is hardly surprising considering the social worker has worked tirelessly throughout her career. When she started her professional life in the early 1980s, the male-dominated society of G-B offered few opportunities for working women. Three decades on, the situation has evolved and the change owes plenty to women like Noor, who braved the odds to make their mark.
The Power of Education – Educating generations
Noor and her husband, a retired engineer, Yaseen clearly lay emphasis on education as their three sons and one daughter are well qualified—the latter working at a hospital associated with the Aga Khan Foundation.
The Red Crescent Society G-B chief herself studied sociology and obtained a masters’ degree in Peace and Conflict from England’s Sunderland University in 2004. Noor was able to travel abroad for further education thanks to funding from the AKRSP.
The Power of Meritocracy – The right woman for the job
Noor served as an adviser on education and women’s development in the G-B government from 2006-2009 during General (retd) Pervez Musharraf’s tenure. She was appointed on the G-B legislative council through special seats reserved for women.
The social worker was definitely the right woman for the job as Noor had plenty of relevant experience.
In her stint as the adviser, a number of girls schools were upgraded to colleges in remote valleys. The establishment of the Gilgit Directorate of Women was another feather in her cap.
The Power of Determination – Rebuilding, leaving her mark
“The lack of support for PRCS from authorities has hampered progress,” Noor tells The Express Tribune. “Imagine, our organisation doesn’t have its own building in G-B. We work out of a rented space.”
However, the lack of resources has not deterred this woman from achieving the organisation’s goals. “I have taken it up as a challenge,” she says without a hint of bravado.
In 2012, former Pakistan president Asif Ali Zardari ordered ex G-B chief minister Mehdi Shah as well as the Azad Kashmir government to allot land for PRCS offices in their respective areas. Complying with the orders, the AJK government allotted land, but authorities in G-B government failed to follow suit. Noor holds Shah’s government responsible for the muddle that has hampered progress for financially-disadvantaged people.
But with the sort of determination shown by Noor throughout her career, few can doubt she is the right person for the job.
The mercury may read minus five degrees, but it seems little can stop this woman from pulling PRCS out of the blues and enriching the lives of those in need.
Get breaking news related to the Ismaili Imamat, the world wide Ismaili Muslim community and all their creativity, endeavors and successes.
Inspired? Share the story
Subscribe and join 19,000 + other individuals – Subscribe now!
Earlier & Related on Women & Leadership at Ismailimail
- #Girls20Summit2020: Hear from the co-founder, Black Lives Matter (#BLM) Opal Tometi, Saturday, October 24, 2020 (@Girls20)
- Dr. Faiza Khoja: Newly Appointed Dean of A&M-Central Texas College of Business Administration
- Zabeen Hirji: Newly Appointed Executive-in-Residence at Simon Fraser University’s Beedie School of Business (@SFUBeedie)
- Sayyida Hurra: The Isma‘ili Sulayhid Queen of Yemen #InternationalWomensDay
- Vote for Jang Media Group The News Women Power 50 @Sumairasalim @Sonal_dhanani @SaminaKBaig @imnatashabaig
- Anar Simpson: Technovation (@Technovation) New Board Member
- G(irls)20 (@Girls20) Leadership Forum: A Seat at the Table- March 7, 2020, Toronto
- Year in Review: IsmailiMail Interview with @AnarSimpson, @Technovation Global Ambassador
- Shelina Dilgir Awarded The Certified Fundraising Executive (CFRE) Designation
- Zainub Verjee: “Don’t reduce Diversity to an HR issue! It has far more complex and nuanced history.”
- Girls on Boards: A G(IRLS)20 Initiative
- Tasleem Somji: Women Economic Forum 2019
- Azima Dhanji: Co-Founder of Social Startup “Connect Hear” #BalanceforBetter #IWD2019 #IWD
- Revisiting Our Grade 6 English Figures Of Speech Class: “Beautiful Images Of A Shattered Glass Ceiling!”; The 3 Women Heads Of The Nuclear Regulators For 3 Anglophone Countries: UK, Canada, USA
- RBC Innovation & Entrepreneurship Speaker Series: Female Founders Edition
- 2019 International Women’s Day Civil Society Champions: Living the Social Conscience of Islam
- Bilkis Vissandjee: Women in Global Health Francophone List
- Zahra Ebrahim: Women’s Executive Network’s Top 100 Award Winner
- Zein Dhanidina nominated for 2018 Premier’s Awards
- Technovation Ambassador Anar Simpson appointed to CARE Canada’s Board of Directors
- Beyond the Glass Ceiling by Anar Simpson at the 2018 OpenText Women in Technology Summit
- CEO, Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission, Rumina Velshi delivers Keynote International Atomic Energy Agency Address
- Majlis With Zainub Jenna Bata – Interactive Conversations | Mother of the Nation Festival, Abu Dhabi
- Women’s History Month on Archnet
- Peace Hero: Mobina Jaffer, The Canadian Senator Who has been Championing Women in Peace and Security for Years
- Aga Khan Music Initiative premieres Qyrq Qyz (Forty Girls): Celebrating Powerful Women and Women’s Power
- Personal Journeys – Gulshan Harjee
- Zabeen Hirji Announced as New Chair of CivicAction
- The Women in Public Service Project Welcomes Anar Simpson to its Advisory Council
- Roxana Jaffer recognized for her work in U.N’s Sustainability Development Goals | Global Compact Network UAE
- Aroosa and Farhad Hakim Ally: Photographers seeks to change Pakistan’s image
- Nahla Valji honoured for Significant Contributions to the field of International Gender Justice
- Sofia Sayani in the running for ‘Mompreneur 2018 Awards’
- Rabiah Damji: From University to Corporate | Women in Tech
- Shelmina Abji is an Empowerment Speaker at Women to Watch
- Future of Art Galleries – keynote by Zainub Verjee
- Nomadic Architecture showcased two decades ago at Burnaby Jamatkhana
- Feature interview of Zainub Verjee in Canadian Art Fall Issue 2017
- Shemin Nurmohamed: Don’t miss your amazon moment! | TEDxAix
- Anar Simpson: Breaking Barriers with Technovation
- Read How Sharmin Malik Turned Her Post-Pregnancy Depression Into An Inspiration To Become An Entrepreneur
- Speech by Almas Jiwani on ‘The Power of One’ at Africa 4 Africa Women’s Conference in South Africa
- The story of Sabiha R. Hirani and her printing house
- Anar Simpson receives GSMA Women4Tech – Glomo Awards
- Aliya Dossa: 101 Days, 101 Strangers, 101 Stories
- Salimah Walji-Shivji appointed to the Board of United Way Calgary
- A chat with Anar Simpson on Women & Tech – Winner of SDG5 Award at the World Government Summit Conference
- Danisha Bhaloo recognized as Outstanding Volunteer, receives Star of Alberta Volunteer Award
- Girls’ Education as a Pathway to Global Women’s Empowerment: Sajida H. Shroff Speaks at the Harvard University
- Dr. Farida Virani speaks at Indian Merchants Chamber’s Seminar: Skilling for Rural Development and Creating Livelihood
- Almas Jiwani honored by Illuminessence magazine as an inspirational leader illuminating a brighter path for women and girls
- Thomson Reuters Sustainability interviews Almas Jiwani: Champion of Gender Equality
- Natasha Walji recognized as one of Canada’s Most Powerful Women in WXN’s Top 100 to Celebrate and Inspire Female Leaders
- Zainub Verjee leads Visual Arts as a partner in the $2.5 million Partnership Grant Awarded to McGill University
- Zainub Verjee’s essay on Home Ground exhibition at Aga Khan Museum published in the Journal of Asian Diasporic Visual Cultures and the Americas
- Anar Simpson appointed Member UN Secretary-General’s High-Level Panel on Women’s Economic Empowerment
- Women and Leadership: Zainub Verjee reflects on state of the culture sector and offers inspirational insights
- Jenny Gulamani-Abdulla Elected as President of BPW Canada
- Sajida H. Shroff, CEO, Altamont Group Discusses Smart Education for Smart People in Smart Cities at University of Cambridge, UK
- Zainub Verjee appointed to the Board of Canadian Filmmakers Distribution Centre
- Sophie Gregoire-Trudeau, Wife of PM Justin Trudeau and Almas Jiwani to celebrate International Women’s Day at Women’s Festival Toronto
- Celebration of International Women’s Day 2015
- Women & Leadership: Shelmina Babai Abji Named to Bellevue College Board of Trustees :: BC Today
- Women & Leadership | Salima Visram – Soular Backpack, Founder
- Hoda Mroue: Aga Khan International Fellowship Seminar Opens Hearts and Minds | Muslim Link
- Women & Leadership | Former Prime Minister of Canada, the Right Honourable Kim Campbell, Delivers the 2014 Ismaili Centre Lecture “Building Civil Societies: The Role of Women Leaders”
- Women & Leadership | Noorul Ain: All it takes is one to make a difference | The Express Tribune
- Women & Leadership | ARCHNET – Women in Architecture
- Women & Leadership | Canada’s 19th Prime Minister, The Right Honourable Kim Campbell speaks at the Ismaili Centre, Burnaby
- Women & Leadership | Nurjehan Mawani, Diplomatic Representative of His Highness the Aga Khan to the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan
- Women & Leadership: Discovering the Aga Khan Museum: In conversation with Pakistan’s Genius Artist – Aisha Khalid
- Women & Leadership | Retrospection & Commendation | All of Pakistan is proud of Samina Baig
- Women & Leadership | Synergy: AKF Projects Empower Women – Tajik Women Teach Afghan Women Life Skills
- Women & Leadership: Reflection
- Almas Jiwani to Deliver Keynote Address at The Arab Women in Leadership And Business Summit
- Interview with Almas Jiwani: President of UN Women National Committee Canada
- Almas Jiwani to Address the African Women Parliamentarians in Brussels
- Almas Jiwani to Deliver Keynote Address at the Global Women Leaders Conference in Dubai
- Almas Jiwani to Be Honoured with Outstanding Women Leadership Achievement Award in Mumbai, India
- Almas Jiwani Appointed Member of Magna Carta Canada Honourary Committee
- Almas Jiwani to Deliver Keynote Address at The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees
- Almas Jiwani to Deliver Keynote Address at the 5th International Conference On Women And Development -Punjabi University, INDIA
- Almas Jiwani, President of UN Women National Committee Canada, to Address Canada’s largest Model United Nations Conference in Montreal
- Almas Jiwani honored with 1st Annual Gender and Environment Sustainability Award
- Almas Jiwani, Honoured with African Women in Leadership Organization Excellence Award
- Almas Jiwani, President, U N Women, Canada, Keynote Speaker for African Women in Leadership Conference 2013
- Almas Jiwani Honored with an MDG Meritorious Award at the 2013 Women Advancement Forum in South Africa
- Almas Jiwani, President of UN Women National Committee Canada to Address International Conference in the Caribbean
- Almas Jiwani, President of UN Women National Committee Canada to be Honoured with “2013 Woman of Courage Award”
- Almas Jiwani: Rays of Hope gala raises funds for Interim Place
- Almas Jiwani of UN Women Canada National Committee to Receive Tribute Award for Outstanding Contribution to Gender Equality
- Almas Jiwani, President of UN Women Canada addresses the All African Ambassadors Session
- Almas Jiwani, President of UN Women Canada National Committee Congratulates The Right Honourable Michaëlle Jean on the Unveiling of the Official Portrait at Rideau Hall
- Almas Jiwani, President of UN Women Canada National Committee to Address the International Film Festival on Crime and Punishment
- Almas Jiwani, President of UN Women Canada National Committee, to Be Honoured With a Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal
- Almas Jiwani presents awards to Priyanka Chopra and Shahid Kapoor
- Almas Jiwani appointed Ambassador of Peace at the Women’s Federation for World Peace National Conference
- Almas Jiwani, President of UN Women Canada, Distinguished Keynote Speaker at Salon International de la Femme 2012, is to Be Honoured With Special Tribute Award
- Almas Jiwani, President of UN Women Canada National Committee Casts a Bright Light on Social Entrepreneurship at the Zawadi Africa Education Fund Conference
- Almas Jiwani, President of UN Women Canada National Committee, Partners With Indonesian Delegation to Advance Gender Equality Legislation