The Lahore Biennale Foundation (LBF) in collaboration with the LUMS School of Education (LUMS SOE) and Harvard South Asia Institute (Harvard SAI) organised an exclusive music and poetry evening. Renowned musician Ali Sethi and Harvard University Professor Mr Ali Asani put together a special set which they performed to an enthralled audience at the Ali Institute of Education.
Entitled ‘Misaq-e-ishq’ (The Covenant of Love) this recital poetry evening highlighted the work of regional masters and Sufi visionaries including Amir Khusroe, Bulleh Shah, Abdul Latif Bhatti and many others. Mr Ali Asani, Professor of Indo-Muslim and Islamic Religion & Cultures at Harvard University, recited from the works and biographies of the aforementioned poets showcasing recurring motifs of “birha” (separation) and “wasl” (union with the beloved).
Throughout the evening, Professor Asani’s readings and recitations were interspersed with musical performances of the poems from classically-trained vocalist and Coke Studio sensation Ali Sethi and his six-member band.
Expressing his love for poetry, Ali Sethi commented, “I first met Professor Ali Asani in 2002. This was a post-9/11 country, a time of alienation and radicalization, and Professor Asani’s emphasis was on humanism and empathy. I can now see that my early exposure to the study of Sufism in Professor Asani’s courses led me into the study of classical music after I graduated and returned to Pakistan. ‘Misaq-e-Ishq’ is a synthesis of those ideas and experiences: an exploration through poetry and music, of the dialogue between humanity and divinity.”
Source: Harvard professor and Coke studio artist pay ode to regional poets at ‘Misaq-e-Ishq’ | Pakistan Today – http://dailytimes.com.pk/life-and-style/19-Jan-17/ali-sethi-pays-ode-to-regional-poets-with-harvard-professor-dr-ali-asani
A global perspective: ‘Ignorance about religion is leading to polarisation | Express Tribune Pakistan
- Mi’raj: In conversation with Professor Ali Asani
- Catch the Live Streaming of 2021 Ismaili Studies Conference (August 6-10, 2021) #ISC2021
- 2021 Ismaili Studies Conference Registration and Program #ISC2021
- Harvard faculty Professor Ali Asani speaks about his journey as a scholar | @HarvardIslamic
- Harvard University: Diversity and Unity in Transnational Shi’ism
- Sitare Productions Presents: Til Bhar Tulana by Samira Noorali ft. Nida Moledina, Saif Sattani, Kanwal Sumnani
- Ginans with Harvard Professor Dr. Ali Asani featuring melodies by Jamil Assani
- Professor Ali Asani Receives 2020 Harvard Foundation Faculty of the Year Award
- Event: Qasida and Ginan Mehfil featuring Dr. Ali Asani and Talented Global Ismailis Hosted by Ginanguru.com
- Events: Understanding Islam in an Age of Polarization and Misinformation
- Professor Ali Asani: Nizari Ismaili Engagements with the Qur’an: The Khojas of South Asia
- Ali Asani on Beauty
Previously on Ismailimail…
University of British Columbia and University of Central Asia Collaborate on Earth and Environmental Sciences
Aga Khan Foundation Canada’s CEO Khalil Shariff to present ‘What the World Needs Now: Pluralism’ at Cannexus17 Conference