Azim Premji, the tech tycoon and Wipro chairman, has been named as the ‘Most charitable person in India’ by Shanghai (China) based Hurun Research Institute for the second year in a row.
Having donated a staggeringly huge Rs 12,316 crore to his Azim Premji Foundation during April 2013- October 2104 period, he clearly towers above all others who find a mention on the Hurun India Philanthropy List 2014.
Hurun Research Institute had come up with a similar list of philanthropists last year too wherein they had included the names of all the generous people and organizations in the country which had donated over Rs 10 crore for charitable purposes. As against 31 people who were mentioned in the list during the previous report, the list has become bigger this year and includes 50 people. 27 out of these 50 are new faces.
Realizing that educating the masses is the best way to empower them and to put the country on the fast track to development, Indian philanthropists have donated most generously to the Education sector– a total of Rs 15,791 cr being pumped into it. Nearly 80% of the total donated amount went towards this sector.
That was followed by Rural Development (Rs 2,333 cr), Healthcare (Rs 1,447 cr) and Environmental Protection (Rs 12 cr).
11 of the 50 most generous people from the country live outside its shores. Five of these made their donations in India.
With founders Nandan Nilekani (with wife Rohini) and Kris Gopalakrishnan placed at number six and nine, Infosys has the highest number of philanthropists in the top ten.
With 15 generous people, Mumbai emerges as the most generous city in the country followed by Bengaluru (8) and Delhi (6).
The average age of philanthropists in India has come down to 56 years as compared to 63 years over the last year.
Bollywood celebrities Shahrukh Khan and Salman Khan are also mentioned on the list. While Shahrukh’s Red Chilies Entertainment donated Rs 25 cr towards social and rural development Salman Khan’s Being Human donated Rs 11 cr towards healthcare.
“I strongly believe that those of us who are privileged to have wealth should contribute significantly to try and create a better world for the millions who are far less privileged. I will continue to act on this belief.”
– Azim Premji, Chairman – Wipro Limited, and Philanthropist
Anil Agarwal of Vedanta has already pledged to donate 75% of his family’s wealth towards charitable causes while HCL chairman Nadar has committed $1 billion towards educating people from the under privileged sections of the society.
Discover, explore and Learn more Via:
- Trak.in – Indian Business of Technology, Mobile & Startups | India’s Top Philanthropists, Azim Premji Remains Most Charitable Indian!
- Hurun Report | Hurun India Philanthropy List 2014
About Azim Premji
Azim Hashim Premji is an Indian business tycoon and philanthropist who is the chairman of Wipro Limited, guiding the company through four decades of diversification and growth to emerge as one of the Indian leaders in the software industry
Wipro Technologies, a division of Wipro Limited (NYSE:WIT) is the first PCMM Level 5 and SEI CMM Level 5 certified IT Services organization globally. Wipro is one of the largest product engineering and support service providers worldwide. Wipro provides comprehensive research and development services, IT solutions and services, including systems integration, Information Systems outsourcing, package implementation, software application development and maintenance services to corporations globally.
In the Indian market, Wipro is a leader in providing IT solutions and services for the corporate segment in India offering system integration, network integration, software solutions and IT services. Wipro also has profitable presence in niche market segments of consumer products and lighting. In the Asia Pacific and Middle East markets, Wipro provides IT solutions and services for global corporations. Wipro’s ADS’ are listed on the New York Stock Exchange, and its equity shares are listed in India on the Stock Exchange – Mumbai, and the National Stock Exchange.
Spotlight on Spirit of Service:
Get breaking news related to the Ismaili Imamat, the world wide Ismaili Muslim community and all their creativity, endeavors and successes.
Inspired? Share the story
Want to inspire? Send your stories to us at Ismailimail@gmail.com
Subscribe and join 19,000 + other individuals – Subscribe now!
Earlier & Related – Azim Premji at Ismailimail Archives:
- India: Azim Premji Foundation Donates $132 million (US Dollars) Towards COVID-19 Relief Fund via Forbes.com
- Azim Premji: Asia’s most generous philanthropist- Forbes Asia
- Forbes: Azim Premji’s Donation To His Charitable Foundation Rises To $21 Billion
- Apply now for IPN LaunchPad 2016 – a global conference for entrepreneurs and investors
- The Outstanding Achievement Award goes to Azim Premji | CNN-IBN Indian of the Year 2014
- Spirit of Service: India’s Top Philanthropists, Azim Premji Remains Most Charitable Indian! | Trak.in – Indian Business of Technology, Mobile & Startups
- Azim Hashim Premji: The most generous Indian
- Giving back: Eight innovative philanthropists around the world – The Bill Gates of India
- Azim Premji: The FP Top 100 Global Thinkers | Foreign Policy
- Wealth must have a definitive social purpose: Azim Premji