MoU to renovate Altinbugha al-Maridani mosque signed
CAIRO – Ministry of Antiquities and the Aga Khan Trust for Culture (AKTC) signed on Thursday a memorandum of understanding to renovate the mosque of Altinbugha al-Maridani and develop the Islamic tourist destinations at Darb Al Ahmar district.
Secretary-General of the Supreme Council of Antiquities Mostafa Waziri and CEO Aga Khan Company Sherif Erian signed the memorandum of understanding, which comes within the framework of the ministry’s plan to develop and renovate Cairo’s antiquities.
The signing was attended by the Minister of Antiquities Khaled El Anani and leaders of AKTC.
In the same context, Erian expressed his pleasure in signing the memorandum for his company’s interest in Islamic antiquities and heritage in the world, referring that Darb Al Ahmar district is full of Islamic antiquities that need renovation and financial support.
Additionally, Supervisor General of the Historic Cairo Development Project Mohamed Abdel Aziz referred that the renovation project is funded by the European Union and Aga Khan Company under the program “Cultural Heritage for Social and Economic Development”, which aims to rehabilitate Altinbugha al-Maridani mosque, activate cultural landmarks and craft centers at Darb Al Ahmer district to provide job opportunities and revenue-producing activities for residents.
He added that the first phase of the renovation at Altinbugha al-Maridani mosque include the construction and architectural studies of the mosque, architectural and logistic documentation of the mosque, renovation of the mosque’s Qiblahs (the direction that Muslims should face while praying) and minarets.
The Mamluk mosque of Altinbugha al-Maridani, located at Darb Al Ahmar district where many Mamluk complexes crowd one next to another, was constructed in 1338/1339 by Amir Altinbugha al-Maridani, one of the Mamluks of Sultan al-Nasir Muhammad.
The mosque is built with both hypostyle and arcaded halls plans, similar to the sultan’s mosque in the Citadel, with a dome above the mihrab and three axial entrances.
Source: Egypt Today / 1 June 2018