“In a world of challenges, it is important to honor the dreamers and leaders, those who take action and those who inspire us to build a better world.”
– Josette Sheeran, Asia Society President
His Highness Prince Karim Aga Khan, spiritual leader to the world’s 15 million Ismaili Muslims and founder of the global Aga Khan Development Network (AKDN), will receive the Asia Game Changer Lifetime Achievement Award, for using philanthropy to lift millions of Asia’s most vulnerable.
Asia Society has announced the 2017 Asia Game Changers. The awards, now in their fourth year, recognize those making a transformative and positive difference for the future of Asia and the world. Awardees will be honored at awards dinner and celebration at the U.N. on November 1, 2017
The other 2017 awardees are:
- Sonita Alizadeh (Afghanistan) Rapper and activist for using rap music to empower the girls of Afghanistan;
- Jean Liu (China) President, Didi Chuxing for revolutionizing transportation in China;
- Aisholpan Nurgaiv (Mongolia) Eagle huntress for breaking gender barriers at a remarkably young age;
- Leng Ouch (Cambodia) Environmental activist for risking his life to expose an environmental calamity
- Dev Patel (India/UK) the British Indian actor for using celebrity to place a spotlight on India’s poor;
- Sesame Workshop (Global) Nonprofit organization for proving that learning can be fun — and have a profound impact — anywhere in the world;
- Wu Tong (China) Musician and composer for showing that musical virtuosity knows no bounds;
- Tadashi Yanai (Japan) Founder, UNIQLO; and Chairman, President and CEO, FAST RETAILING for making philanthropy fashionable.
Previous honorees include Pratham CEO Madhav Chavan, actor Aasif Mandvi, ICICI Bank CEO Chanda Kochhar, Impact Investment Exchange Asia CEO Durreen Shanaz, as well as Alibaba CEO Jack Ma and education activist and Noble-Prize winner Malala Yousafzai.
- Asia Society | Asia Game Changers | 2017 Awardees
- Market Wired | Press Release | Asia Society Announces 2017 Asia Game Changers
About the Asia Game Changer Awards
The Asia Game Changer Awards, launched by the Asia Society in 2014, are designed to fill a vital gap, identifying and honoring true leaders who are making a positive contribution to the future of Asia. These awards are bestowed annually to individuals, organizations, and movements that have inspired, enlightened, and shown true leadership in areas that reflect Asia Society’s core pillars of policy and business, arts and culture, and education.
This fall marks the fourth year of a truly impactful Asia Society event — the Asia Game Changer Awards and Gala Dinner at the United Nations.
Nominations for the Asia Game Changers were solicited from the Asia Society global network, which then embarked on a three-month process of feedback and voting that resulted in the final 2017 Asia Game Changers.
Asia Society is thrilled to honor these people and their achievements, and to share their triumphs with the rest of the world, as they are each living representatives of the Asia Society mission: to promote mutual understanding and strengthen partnerships among peoples, leaders, and institutions of Asia, the United States, and the world. We invite you to join us in creating the atmosphere and conditions for future Asia Game Changers to develop and thrive.
About Asia Society
Asia Society is the leading educational organization dedicated to promoting mutual understanding and strengthening partnerships among peoples, leaders and institutions of Asia and the United States in a global context. Across the fields of arts, business, culture, education, and policy, the Society provides insight, generates ideas, and promotes collaboration to address present challenges and create a shared future.
Founded in 1956 by John D. Rockefeller 3rd, Asia Society is a nonpartisan, nonprofit institution with major centers and public buildings in New York, Hong Kong and Houston, and offices in Los Angeles, Manila, Mumbai, San Francisco, Seoul, Shanghai, Sydney, Washington, DC and Zurich.
The symbol of the Asia Society is the leogryph.
Research, Insight & Perspective by A. Maherali
Congratulations to all those receiving this much recognized award who have worked tirelessly and shown great
leadership for this cause.
Work no words,we are deeply thankful to Aga khan and his untiring effort for global humanbeing a