“The new Museum will have a strong educational vocation: it will be a place for active inquiry, for discussion and research, for lectures and seminars, and for an array of collaborative programs with educational institutions and with other museums…My own family has been intimately involved in Islamic cultural history, notably during the Fatimid Caliphate which, a thousand years ago, founded one of the world’s first, great universities in Cairo…As we look ahead, we can anticipate with some confidence that the Wynford Drive project will be a beautiful part of the future — a proud gift from our generation to future generations — even as it celebrates so fittingly what past generations have given to us.”
Mawlana Hazar Imam
Foundation Ceremony, the Ismaili Centre, the Aga Khan Museum and their park
Toronto, Canada, May 28, 2010
2009 to 2013
Mawlana Hazar Imam
laid the foundation of
- Ismaili Centre, the Aga Khan Museum and their Park in Toronto, Canada (2010). Speech. Video.
- Aga Khan University’s Graduate School of Media and Communications in Nairobi, Kenya (2011). Speech
- Shurobod Bridge in Tajikistan (2011).
- the signing of agreements
- between Aga Khan University and the University of Alberta in Edmonton, Canada, to increase global engagement and to promote equitable human advancement (2009). AKDN
- between Aga Khan University and University of California San Francisco (UCSF), in Sacramento, to advance their common goal to promote equitable human advancement and social justice in the less privileged parts of the world (2009). UCSF
- the Aga Khan Development Network Foundation and the International Baccalaureate to intensify joint efforts to broaden access to quality education for students across the developing world and more global perspectives to those in the industrialised world (2010). AKDN
- between State of Illinois and AKDN to expand collaboration in the areas of education, environmental stewardship, health sciences, library and information sciences, infrastructure development, agricultural sustainability and culture (2011). AKDN
- Aga Khan University and Catholic University of Portugal reaffirm cooperation, in Lisbon, Portugal (2013). AKDN
- between the People’s Republic of Bangladesh and AKDN to intensify cooperation on improving of the quality of life of the people of Bangladesh (2013). AKDN
- award ceremony of the Aga Khan Award for Architecture in Doha, Qatar (2010) and Lisbon, Portugal (2013).
- Convocation ceremony of Aga Khan University, Karachi, Pakistan (2013).
- the exhibition The Islamic Worlds in the Aga Khan Museum Collection at CaixaForum Madrid together with the King of Spain (2009).
- revitalised Forodhani Park in Zanzibar (2009). Speech
- Khorog Park in Tajikistan (2009). AKDN
- National Park of Mali in Bamako, created under a public-private partnership between the Government of Mali and the Aga Khan Trust for Culture (2010). Speech
- the refurbished Polana Serena Hotel in Maputo, Mozambique (2010). AKDN
- Aga Khan University Hospital’s Heart and Cancer Centre in Nairobi, Kenya (2011). AKDN
- Dushanbe Serena Hotel, in Tajikistan (2011). Speech
- the exhibition titled Treasures of the Aga Khan Museum: Architecture in Islamic Arts, in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia (2012). Video
- Bujagali Hydropower Plant in Uganda (2012). Speech. Video
- the restored mausoleum of Timur Shah (by AKTC) in Kabul, Afghanistan (2012). AKDN
- the restored Humayun’s garden tomb in New Delhi, India (2013). Speech. Video
- Aga Khan Academy, Hyderabad, India (2013). Speech. Video
- Chancellor Angela Merkel, Vice-Chancellor and Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier, and Development Minister Heidemarie Wieczorek-Zeul to discuss the expansion of activities in regions of mutual interest (2009). AKDN
- delegates of the annual Global Philanthropy Forum in Washington, USA (2009). Speech
- the Academy of Sciences in Lisbon (2009). Speech
- graduates at University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada (2009). Speech
- London Conference on Afghanistan (2009). Speech
- The Marketplace on Innovative Financial Solutions for Development in Paris co-hosted by the Agence Française de Développement, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and the World Bank (2010). Speech
- opening ceremony of the inaugural Pan Africa Media Conference to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Nation Media Group, founded by Mawlana Hazar Imam (2010). Speech
- Annual LaFontaine-Baldwin Lecture (2010). Speech
- Urban Land Institute’s Annual Conference Leadership Dinner in Paris, France (2012). Speech
- UNESCO conference in Hangzhou, China on the role of culture in development (2013). Speech
- an international agreement with the Portuguese Republic on matters relating to religion, cooperation, culture and education (2009). The Ismaili
- an agreement in Austin between Imamat and State of Texas to expand collaboration in the areas of education, health sciences, natural disaster preparedness and recovery, culture and the environment (2009). AKDN
- agreement of cooperation between Imamat and State of California reaffirming their shared commitment to dedicate human and material resources to confront poverty (2009). AKDN
- signed an agreement in Arusha, Tanzania, between the East African Community and the AKDN to strengthen and broaden cooperation in the areas of economic, social and cultural development throughout East Africa (2012). AKDN
- signed an agreement between Government of Alberta, Canada, and AKDN to expand collaboration in the areas of health sciences, education, the environment, forestry and natural resources management, culture, and private sector and economic development (2012). AKDN
- an agreement with Kenya’s Prime Minister, the Right Honourable Raila Odinga, to rehabilitate Nairobi City Park (2012). Video
- in Geneva, Switzerland, the doubling of the prize for the Aga Khan Award for Architecture (2010).
- Aga Khan Foundation established the Community-Based Savings Programme (CBSG) to promote community-managed financial services in the disadvantaged communities where it works (2009).
- Canadian International Development Agency announced it would provide funding over five years to Aga Khan Foundation Canada to pursue partnership for a new millennium project (2011). Government of Canada
- Mawlana Hazar Imam made an official visit to
- Urumxi, China, at the invitation of the Governor of the Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region, Mr Nur Bekri, to discuss collaboration between the AKDN and the Government of Xinjiang (2012). AKDN
- Dushanbe, Tajikistan to discuss a range of national and regional development issues with government officials (2012). AKDN
- Mawlana Hazar Imam attended the Foundation Ceremony of the new Women’s Wing at the French Medical Institute for Children in Kabul, Afghanistan (2012). Speech
For titles and honours bestowed upon Mawlana Hazar Imam, visit AKDN or view the matrix.
Select World Events – 2009 to 2013
- Michael Jackson died (2009).
- Iceland volcano erupted, European airports closed due to spreading ash (2010).
- Apple CEO Steve Jobs died (2011).
- A series of earthquakes caused a tsunami in Japan (2011).
- Voyager 1 entered interstellar space (2012).
- Mars Science Laboratory, Curiosity, landed on Mars (2012)
- Nelson Mandela died (2013).
Compiled by Nimira Dewji