So, when the presser about North York’s Ayaz Virani found me, I read it with more than cursory interest.
It’s not everyday a South Asian singer wins a coveted prize for his original work, a mellow pop/soul number with undertones of R&B.
Before, I ramble on, let me introduce the man whose song–Take it From me– strikes more than a chord with listeners. It has a “It” factor.
I am about to make this entire blog irrelevant by suggesting people hit play on the video now.
Recently, a panel of musicians and music industry experts chose Ayaz as the 2016 recipient of the Emerging Artist Music Mentorship Program, courtesy, a Canada’s Walk of Fame initiative.
Ayaz will receive $25,000 worth private studio recording time, introduction to an already established artist, face time with executives and get couple of opportunities to perform.
Here’s where his win gets more impressive. The panel received more than 350 hopefuls from coast-to-coast.
More at the source: torontodesidiaries.com
You can catch Ayaz as he opens for Juno-nominated Matt Dusk with jazz/blues artist Florence K, Sept. 21 at Mod Club, 722 College St. Tickets are $30/person.
Then, on Saturday, Sept. 24, he along with other finalists from Canada’s Walk of Fame’s emerging artist music mentorship, will perform noon to 2 p.m. at Yonge-Dundas Square.
Related, Ismaili Muslim Artists
- Shakeel Bhamani (@shakbbx) interviews internationally touring stand-up comedian Shereen Kassam (@funnybrowngirl)
- Shumaila Hemani’s (@shumailahemani) poem “Living with Purpose” nominated for 2022 Alberta Magazine Awards in Poetry @NewforumAB
- Artany Art Gallery – an international digital gallery of rising Ismaili artists
- Iman Vellani on becoming Marvel’s first Muslim superhero in conversation with Tom Power | q CBC Radio @cbcradioq
- Afraaz Adam Mulji (@AfraazMulji) Nominated for CBC Music’s Toyota Searchlight Competition
Recent blog posts
- Dr. Zohra Lassi received the 2022 Young Tall Poppy Science Award from the Australian Institute of Policy and Science
- Dr. Shafik Dharamsi appointed Dean of the School of Public Health, University of North Texas Health Science Centre at Forth Worth
- First Pakistani nurse, Dr. Rozina Karmaliani (@RKarmaliani), inducted into the American Academy of Nursing (@AmericanAcademyNursing)
- Statement by the Prime Minister of Canada Justin Trudeau on the 50th anniversary of the Ugandan Asian resettlement
- Citizen Witness | The Aga Khan Academy Mombasa’s Class of 2022 Achieve Exceptional IB Results