Questions addressed in the interview:
- In recent years, many introductions to Islam and Muslims have been published. Why the need for this Companion?
- When it comes to writing about a civilisation with a span of 1,400 years and countless cultures, it must have been difficult to decide what to include and to exclude. What guided you in selecting the topics that the Companion explores?
- You discuss in this book the forgetting of Muslim heritage ‘once colonial rule prevailed’. Can you explain what this was about – and why it occurred ?
- You refer to the ‘overlapping worlds’ of the civilisations of Islam and other great traditions. In your opinion, what ethical principles can be our guide in navigating this world?
- This Companion, as you mentioned, inaugurates a new series. Where do you from here with this ‘Muslim Heritage Series’ ?