Ted Teshima, co-founder of Moriyama & Teshima – one of Toronto’s most beloved architecture firms – died on September 2, just two days shy of his 78th birthday.
In 1970, he became a partner at Moriyama & Teshima Architects and embarked upon some of the firm’s most renowned projects, including being the architect of record for award winning buildings commissioned by His Highness Prince Karim Aga Khan.
Below are some excerpts from 2 leading architectural publications about his impact to people, places and projects.
… Teshima laid the groundwork for two major Toronto projects that the firm would complete after his 2006 retirement: the Aga Khan Museum (designed by Fumihiko Maki) and the Ismaili Centre (designed by Charles Correa), , for which Moriyama & Teshima was the architecture firm of record.
via Canadian Architect
Zool Samji, a client representative for the Aga Khan Museum and Ismaili Centre in Toronto and the Delegation of the Ismaili Imamat in Ottawa, spoke of Teshima’s inner calmness and resolve, care for the built environment, and belief in creating quality buildings that would stand the test of time. As a team leader, said Samji, Teshima fostered an enabling and welcoming atmosphere that allowed all around him to succeed.
Some years ago, a personality study of successful architects concluded that, in general, these top dogs are obsessive, stubborn, and somewhat surly to deal with—traits we might still associate with the stereotypical “starchitect.” In contrast, Thom and Teshima were certainly devoted to their values: but they were also humble, generous, optimistic and wise. Our heroes were also exceptional Canadians, in the highest and finest sense of the word.
Ted’s leadership and defining contribution to the architecture community in Canada will never be forgotten.
Moriyama & Teshima | Awards
Moriyama & Teshima has received more than 200 awards, including six Governor General’s Medals for Architecture, Canada’s highest architectural honour.
Selected awards that include buildings commissioned by His Highness Prince Karim Aga Khan are:
Governor General’s Medals in Architecture
- 2012 — The Delegation of the Ismaili Imamat, Ottawa, Ontario
Ontario Association of Architects Awards
- 2016 — People’s Choice Award: Aga Khan Museum Toronto, Ontario
- 2016 — Design Excellence Award: Aga Khan Museum, Toronto, Ontario
- 2015 — People’s Choice Award: Ismaili Centre, Toronto, Ontario
- 2015 — Design Excellence Award: Ismaili Centre, Toronto, Ontario
- 2010 — Design Excellence Award: The Delegation of the Ismaili Imamat, Ottawa, Ontario
- 2014 — Azure Top 10 Big Projects of 2014, First Place: Aga Khan Museum and Ismaili Centre, Toronto Ontario
Discover, Explore and Learn more via:
- Moriyama & Teshima Architects | In Memory of Ted Teshima
- Canadian Architect | In Memoriam: Ted Teshima
- Azure | In Memoriam: Ted Teshima
- The Globe and Mail | Globe Life – Deaths | THEODORE FUJIO TESHIMA September 4, 1938 – September 2, 2016
- Canadian Architect | Editorial: Visionary Leaders: Bing Thom and Ted Teshima
Research, Insight & Perspective by A. Maherali
Previously on Ismailimail…
Aga Khan Foundation, Canadian Association of Journalists award two journalists $50,000 for the best in global development journalism