Honourable Rob Nicholson, P.C., Q.C., M.P. for Niagara Falls, Minister of Foreign Affairs, toured the Ismaili Centre in Dubai.
The domed structure in the U.A.E. is designed to foster a spirit of pluralism, mutual respect and understanding, both within the Muslim community and across society at large.
Minister Nicholson’s visit to the centre is symbolic of the strong and deepening relationship between the Government of Canada and the Ismaili Imamat following the Protocol of Understanding signed by Prime Minister Stephen Harper and His Highness the Aga Khan.
March 5, 2015 – Dubai, United Arab Emirates – On March 4, 2015, the Honourable Rob Nicholson, P.C., Q.C., M.P. for Niagara Falls, Minister of Foreign Affairs, visited the United Arab Emirates as part of his tour of the region to meet with key Canadian partners to discuss issues of regional security.
To view this statement in its original format, please visit the following link:
Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development Canada | Minister Nicholson Visits United Arab Emirates
About Arif Lalani, Canadian Ambassador to the UAE
Arif Lalani (BA [International Relations], University of British Columbia, 1989; MSc [Management, Organizations and Governance], London School of Economics, 2009) has undertaken various assignments at Headquarters and abroad.
In 1994, he was assigned to the Embassy of Canada to Turkey. Mr. Lalani also served abroad at the Permanent Mission of Canada to the United Nations in New York during Canada’s term on the Security Council and as counsellor in Washington, D.C.
In 2006, he was appointed ambassador to Jordan, with accreditation to the Republic of Iraq and in 2007 he was appointed ambassador to Afghanistan. He was presented with the Alam Sayad Jamal-u-Din al Afghani medal in 2008 for his contribution to building peace and stability in Afghanistan.
At Headquarters, Mr. Lalani has worked in the Office of the Senior Coordinator for the Middle East Peace Process as coordinator for the Balkans, was director of the South Asia Division and director general of both the South and Southeast Asia Bureau and the Strategic Policy Bureau.
He was founder and chair of the Working Group on Relations with Muslim Communities from 2005 to 2006. Mr. Lalani is a member of the Operating Board of Directors of the Centre for International Governance Innovation. He also serves as a senior fellow and member of the Advisory Board for the Munk School of Global Affairs at the University of Toronto.
In August 2012, Mr. Lalani was appointed ambassador to the United Arab Emirates with concurrent appointment as Canada’s first-ever special envoy to the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation in April 2013.
He is a recipient of the Queen’s Golden Jubilee Medal for service to Canada and Canadians.
Get breaking news related to the Ismaili Imamat, the world wide Ismaili Muslim community and all their creativity, endeavors and successes.
Inspired? Share the story
Want to inspire? Send your stories to us at Ismailimail@gmail.com
Subscribe and join 20,000 + other individuals – Subscribe now!
Earlier & Related – Arif Lalani at Ismailimail Archives:
- AKDN’s Arif Lalani, and Luis Monreal of AKTC receive UAE’s Minister of Culture and Knowledge Development at the Ismaili Center Dubai
- Chief Guest Arif Lalani: Graduation Ceremony held at the Aga Khan Academy Hyderabad, India
- Statement by His Highness the Aga Khan | Brussels Conference on Afghanistan (Video)
- Bilateral meeting: Afghan President and His Highness the Aga Khan | Brussels Conference on Afghanistan (Photos/Video)
- Afghan President meets His Highness the Aga Khan | Brussels Conference on Afghanistan (Video)
- Bilateral meeting: Swedish Deputy Prime Minister and His Highness the Aga Khan | Brussels Conference on Afghanistan (Video)
- Bilateral meeting: French Minister of State and His Highness the Aga Khan | Brussels Conference on Afghanistan (Video)
- Speech delivered by His Highness Prince Karim Aga Khan at Brussels Conference on Afghanistan (Video)
- Speech delivered by His Highness Prince Karim Aga Khan at Brussels Conference on Afghanistan
- His Highness Prince Karim Aga Khan at the Brussels Conference on Afghanistan